Advanced Heavy Truck Driving
Do you enjoy long car rides? Are you organized and detail-oriented? Like helping others and following a routine?
Then you may be a good fit for Job Corps’ Advanced Heavy Truck Driving training program.
On the job, you will ...
- Transport goods from one location to another
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions
- Follow signals from loading crews
- Verify instructions and routes
- Check vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety and emergency equipment is in good working order
Some of the career options you will have ...
In addition to becoming a heavy truck driver, people who complete this course of study can go on to become forklift operators, diesel technicians, warehouse associates, training instructors, terminal managers, bus drivers, dispatchers and mechanics.
The credentials you will earn ...
In the Advanced Heavy Truck Driving training program, you will earn industry-recognized credentials and/or state licensures that show you have the skills and knowledge to work in transportation, logistics and customer service.
Students should also earn a state-issued learner’s permit and driver’s license upon completion of
What you’ll need to start training ...
- High school diploma or the equivalent (can be earned at all Job Corps centers)
- Complete a Job Corps basic training program
- Passing scores on all written and performance tests
- Meet academic (math and reading) requirements
- At least 17 years old
- Positive attendance and progress record
- Written recommendation from Job Corps center personnel
- Health clearance at current center
- Strong work ethic and determination to succeed
- Complete a successful phone, in-person or videoconference interview
- Pass a drug test and physical exam
- Pass a background and DMV check as governed by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Have a valid driver’s license with at least 18 months of driving experience